[Kamailio-Users] Newbie questions

Juha Heinanen jh at tutpro.com
Mon Dec 28 17:13:25 CET 2009

Antonio Goméz Soto writes:

 > I have used asterisk before, but now am looking at kamailio for scaling up.
 > I've read 'Building Telephony Systems with OpenSER', but I still have lots
 >   of questions.... so, here it goes:
 >
 > - I could not find a way to reboot a phone remotely, can it send
 >    SIP NOTIFY to all phones?

kamailio is a sip proxy, not a sip ua.  you can easily write a sip ua
script that does what ask in above.

 > - does it have something like the Asterisk Manager Interface,
 >    so I can connect/create an operator panel for it? Does that
 >    already exist somewhere? Something like FOP where operators can
 >    transfer calls, and check availability?

no, here you are looking for a pbx what kamailio is not.

 > - according to the docs it is not a BTBUA. What does this mean?
 >    I know that asterisk is a BTBUA, but what can a BTBUA do that a
 >    SIP proxy cannot? Is it only the moh and conferences?

for example, bua can terminate a call and create a new one.  kamailio is
not a full blown bua.  use sems instead.

 > - lastly, is there a good tutorial on load-balancing somewhere?

that i don't know an answer.  there is a couple is load balancing
related modules in kamailio, which you can use.  check their READMEs.

-- juha