[Kamailio-Users] [SR-Users] kamailio 3.0 - the time before freezing

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 09:45:10 CEST 2009

On 25.08.2009 2:01 Uhr, Iñaki Baz Castillo wrote:
> El Lunes, 24 de Agosto de 2009, Daniel-Constantin Mierla escribió:
>

>>> . Wouldn't
>>> be better to spent devel time in porting the required K/S modules to
>>> SR instead of making them working as K/S modules in any way?
>>>
>> All (but seas) are ported. There is nothing else to port, just some
>> overlapping (read conflicting) from functionality/database structure
>> point of view.
>>

> Ok, got the point, thanks for the explanation. Just a question about
> modules/functions overlapping:
>
> Right now there are a lot of modules (even more in SR as it has K and S
> modules). There are modules with function names like "to_gw", "from_gw",
> "check_to"... From a user perspective is really difficult to guess which
> function belongs to a module. Also, due to similar modules in K and S there
> could be funtion namming conflicts. Wouldn't make sense to prefix each
> function with the module name? Something as:
>   lcr.to_gw
>   uri.check_to
>
> There coulb be other options of course.

this is a general issue, some discussions were undertaken on mailing
list, probably will be addressed more specific in the near future.

>> You can do your Inakilio SIP server
>>

> Ops, purchasing the domain right now :)
>

>> using ser auth module
>> and kamailio location/presence modules if that suits better. Kamailio
>> has to provide to its users of version 1.5.x a new release on the same
>> line of modules.
>>

> This is the only point I have no 100% clear: will Kamailio next release
> contain K and S modules since it uses SR? or just K modules?

All K modules plus any of S modules that is interesting and does not
overlap with a K module. Still to be selected, but that is the main
guideline of selection.

> Which would be the difference between choosing SR, Kamailio (with SR code) or
> SER (with SR core) to build a SIP platform?

Needed modules. There are quite some inter-module dependencies and
differences of features.
> Other question: If there would be a new and more advanced presence module for
> Kamailio, would it automaticaly be integrated in SR?

Everything new is integrated to SR - there is one repository for
everything. Other modules will get merged, so overlapping is going to be
less and less, but not removed at once - for example, sl, cpl-c, pike,
maxfwd, ... modules do not depend much on db layer that holds back
integration in one -- so actually, next step is to take one by one and
see what can be done.

Daniel-Constantin Mierla
* http://www.asipto.com/