[Kamailio-Users] Anyone doing CNAM lookups?

Thu Oct 23 17:09:17 CEST 2008

Brian McCrary schrieb:
> On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 07:02:38AM +0200, Klaus Darilion wrote:
>
> Hello Klaus,
>
>> If you need to trigger SUBSCRIBE you would need the pua module. You
>> would need to write a new module which either sends SUBSCRIBE directly
>> (via tm module) or which links into pua module (which support
>> SUBSCRIBE/NOTIFY in a generic ways).
>
> Thanks for your response!  I was not aware of the pua module.  It looks
> like it would be a good starting point, especially with it's database
> functions.  I think I need to get to work today in setting up a new test
> server so I can play with these new modules and see what changes need to
> be made.
>
>> Do you have a specification of the CNAM lookup (Event: type, payload ...)
>>
>> I am not used to CNAM (does not exist in Europe) - how does it work? Do
>> you query the CNAM database during call setup - thus delaying the call
>> setup until you got the answer from the lookup? Or is this an
>> asynchronous mechanism?
>
> Yes, I will post the information I have from Verisign on how it works (a
> little lengthy but it does a good job of describing it).  The idea is
> indeed to query the database during call setup, and wait for the answer.
> Then the lookup would be forwarded to the SIP phone, ideally in the From
> field or P-Asserted Identity giving the called party the name of who is
> calling them.

If the INVITE needs to get blocked during the lookup (to wait for the
name) I wonder why the lookup is done asynchronous. IMO a simple HTTP
request would be more efficient.

Of course if the INVITE is forward immediately and once the lookup
finished an UPDATE with the CNAME is sent, then this sounds useful. But
generating UPDATEs would require a B2BUA.

In general I think this is not easy to achieve with Kamailio as you have
to delay the INVITE till the NOTIFY is received. Due to the Kamailio
architecture this will easily block all Kamailio processes and thus
Kamailio can not process the NOTIFYs anymore.

regards
klaus

   --SUBSCRIBEt-->