[Kamailio-Users] Architecture with load-balancing (dispatcher module)

Pascal Maugeri pascal.maugeri at gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 14:25:20 CEST 2008

On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 12:16 PM, Alex Balashov
<abalashov at evaristesys.com>wrote:

> Any "frontal application-level switch" would simply have the same
> liability.

right.

> Kamailio is a very high-throughput proxy that can handle huge amounts of
> call setups per second.  I think you can count on that.

Yes but you may need to use the power of all your load-balancer nodes. I
believe we can expect 10K transactions/seconds on a single load-balancer
node, but if you need to handle more traffic, load balancer node may be a
bottleneck.

> Failing over around the load balancer node to a secondary load balancer or
> distributing the traffic among multiple load balancers is a job best left to
> the sending endpoint.  For example, a DID origination provider's switch or
> SBC can be set up to fail over calls to a different IP endpoint for your SIP
> trunk if no response is received within a certain amount of time.  That is
> how this is typically done.  At some point you've got to say that you've
> done all you can do, and it's up to the other side.

Thanks Alex, it's a good point.

-pascal