[OpenSER-Users] UDP Buffer Size / OpenSER / Linux

Fri Mar 21 08:49:45 CET 2008

Carsten Bock schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> short question:
> Can anybody give me a hint regarding the Linux UDP-Buffer size? Are
> there any known good values for this or is the default value (128k) of
> Linux sufficient? I've read, regarding other SIP-Systems (namely IBM SIP
> Servlets and Communigate pro), the recommendation to increase the
> UDP-Buffer-size to 3 or even 4 MByte....
> Are there any recommended / known best values for heavy load OpenSER
> Installations?

IMO these values are too high. If the server is for any reason to slow
to handle the load and the buffer fills up, then it might happen that
the transactions are already timeout in the UAC when the SIP proxy
starts processing the requests. If the proxy is overloaded IMO the
requests should be dropped instead of queuing them for too long time.

regards
klaus