[Kamailio-Users] Project continuity and near future.

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Mon Jul 28 19:45:39 CEST 2008

Daniel-Constantin Mierla wrote:

> Everyone agrees that openser was becoming an important brand and we
> believe it could be the main reason we got targeted for name conflicts
> and trademarks. In such situation is hard to take a decision in a way or
> another. The one with the lowest financial and resources investment
> seemed to be renaming.

This is definitely understandable.  To be clear, I was not questioning
the rationale, and I don't think it serves the project well to engage in
a large-scale panic referendum on this move in light of that.

Personally, from a purely aesthetic viewpoint, I am not sure that
"Kamailio" was the best choice for a replacement name.  It is hard to
remember to spell and sounds overly exotic, in stark contrast to the
no-nonsense technical professionalism and humourless objectivity
commanded by a word like "OpenSER."   Kamailio sounds more like
something full of non-genetically modified soy, maybe with some goat
cheese, organic, vegan, and Silicon Valley / "VoIP 2.0" - sort of like
the "Yate" B2BUA.  I think it's more likely that staunchly conservative
telco executives are going to gloss over something like that than
something more imposing and Anglo-accessible.

But that's just one person's impression.  At any rate, it does not
change the fact that the nomenclature change was necessary.  It's just
nomenclature, after all;  I don't like "Alex" all that much either, but
hopefully it does not do much to summarise the content of my
individuality to others in a professional setting or otherwise.  :)

I know that I ran into name issues with OpenSER on a number of
occasions.  One, everyone got it confused with IPTel's SER and wanted to
know the difference, and two, there is a vendor of expensive predictive
dialing/telemarketing hardware called SER.  In the rather unlikely event
that you end up doing work for an IT-centric mortgage company in the US,
as I did, these two worlds somehow converge.  :)

> The companies and developers around the project will continue to support
> and develop the project as before. The new major release will be with
> the new name and version 1.4.0 -- simply is just a renaming, no other
> changes.

That is an enormous relief to hear authoritatively!

Best of luck, and long live Kamailio.

-- Alex

--
Alex Balashov