[OpenSER-Users] openser + mysql clusters

Sajith T S sajith at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 13:28:49 CEST 2008

"Watkins, Bradley" <Bradley.Watkins at compuware.com> wrote:

> One of the new features in 5.1.X/NDB 6.2.x (might've been part of
> NDB 6.1.x too, I forget) is the ability for VARCHAR columns to only
> use the memory required to store the value rather than a fixed
> amount.  Depending on your data, this can save a lot of memory.

That sounds really good.  I suspect that memory usage can be a pain if
we are to deal with large amount of accounting data etc, but I would
like to hear from experienced folks here.

There's an ndb_size.pl script that reports memory requirements for
databases you might want to import from a "non-clustered" mysql
instance.  It reports 5.1.x as better in terms of memory usage.
However to get started, I had to use debian's stock mysql-server-5.0
package.  (I will move to 5.1.x or mysql cluster 6.2.x later.
Installing 5.1.x, both from sources and from binary packages, was
fraught with various troubles, so that has to wait.)

> FWIW, I use MySQL Cluster with OpenSER as well as several other
> open-source applications and can say I'm pretty happy with it.

I seem to have most of this working now, except for one thing: on
trying to import a radius database into ndbcluster, there's this
error:

    # mysql -u root -p radius < radius.sql
    Enter password:
    ERROR 1089 (HY000) at line 41: Incorrect sub part key; the used
    key part isn't a string, the used length is longer than the key
    part, or the storage engine doesn't support unique sub keys

radius.sql is basically the standard schema for freeradius with mysql
backend.  Apparently this column in radacct table is the problem:

    UNIQUE KEY `sess_id` (`AcctSessionId`(128),`SipFromTag`,`SipToTag`),

Has anyone already solved this?

Thanks,
Sajith.
--
"the lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne."
     	         -- Chaucer.