[OpenSER-Users] when openser starts - mi_fifo reports "pkg_malloc cannot allocate any more memory"

Henning Westerholt henning.westerholt at 1und1.de
Mon Jul 21 10:46:30 CEST 2008

On Friday 18 July 2008, Christian Koch wrote:
> > Have you tried to use only a subset of the modules, and see if the error
> > happens again? And if you ommit the mi_fifo module, do you get another
> > error?
>
> We tried without the mi_fifo and xlog modules, but the error still
> occured. The log-msg was slightly different:
>
> /usr/local/sbin/openser[21357]: CRITICAL:core:init_io_wait: could not
> alloc fd hashtable (25008 bytes)

Hi Christian,

ok, now it runs in an other out of memory condition, but otherwise the error
is the same.

> Then we removed mysql and suddenly openser worked fine. So we tried some
> different scenarios for compiling the mysql module. What now works for
> us is:
>
> - Linking against the static mysqlclient library
> (/usr/lib/mysql/libmysqlclient.a)
> - Additionally using the following libs: -lcrypt -lnsl -lssl -lcrypto
> (those were suggested by the 'mysql_config' tool - which is not
> available on our machine, but we got the output from running
> mysql_config on another machine)
>
> The "LIBS="-section of modules/mysql/Makefile now looks like that:
> [..]
> (When trying this on a machine with mysql_config available don't forget
> to remove the autodetection from the makefile!)

I've tried it on my machine with disabled autodetection. The module is even in
this case linked with additional libraries not included in the Makefile,
because of the dependencies stated in libmysqlclient.la.

> We suspect the mysqlclient installation on that machine to be a little
> corrupt. Perhaps headers and libs don't belong to the same mysql
> version. But we have no clue why it doesn't work with the dynamic
> library but with the static one. Additionally it's interessting that the
> problem depends on the number of openser childs (as stated in our first
> mail, with only 2 childs everything works fine - even with the dynamic
> lib). So perhaps using the static lib is only a workaround for a bug in
> openser - we simply don't know. Nevertheless, we've got a working
> openser installation now!!!!!

This could be the problem, yes. The exact conditions of this error are indeed
somewhat strange.. But good that it works for you now. :-)

Cheers,

Henning