[OpenSER-Users] Limiting maximum number of concurrent calls

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Fri Jul 18 00:32:27 CEST 2008

Iñaki Baz Castillo wrote:

> El Jueves, 17 de Julio de 2008, Rana Dhekial escribió:
>> Hi,
>>
>> We are running openeser version 1.2.2. Currently we have defined 3 groups
>> of subscribers. We have a requirement of limiting max number of concurrent
>> calls per group. For example, 10 maximum number of  concurrent ( incoming
>> /outgoing ) calls for subscribers belonging to group 1. How do we go about
>> it. Any sample config will be appreciated.
>
> OpenSer is a stateful proxy, not a call-stateful. This is: OpenSer knows about
> SIP transactions but not about SIP dialogs (calls), so there is no an
> ellegant way to know the number of current dialogs.
>
> Also note that a dialog could start through OpenSer (first INVITE) and
> continue out of OpenSer (if OpenSer doesn't add "Record-Route" headers).
>
> Anyway there is "dialog" module that can help with it but AFAIK it is much
> complete in 1.3.X version.

There might be some merit to crafting a module that allows one to hash a
concurrent open INVITE dialog state and then obtain a count based on
some user-defined key.  It has to be user-defined because many use cases
will have many different requirements for how to enforce call limits;
some will want to do it based on DID, some will want to do it based on
underlying Contact, some will have various "subscriber groups" as the
original poster does, etc.

--
Alex Balashov
Evariste Systems