[OpenSER-Users] O'Reilly Media is looking for contributors

Kristian Kielhofner kkielhofner at star2star.com
Thu Jul 17 06:52:29 CEST 2008

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 1:38 PM, Daniel-Constantin Mierla
<miconda at gmail.com> wrote:
..snipped..

> nice! Is there a constraint on specific versions? I understand from your
> email that the recipes can be OpenSER-related only as well, without a tie to
> Asterisk.
>
> How one can request an account?
>
> Cheers,
> Daniel

Daniel,

  I'm sorry my initial post probably wasn't as clear as it could be.

  We are accepting any recipes:

- OpenSER only
- Asterisk only
- OpenSER + Asterisk integration (even cooler)
- Cisco gateways
- Any other popular VoIP products (phones, SBCs, firewalls, etc)

  As long as they "work" in the recipe format anything relating to the
configuration of these projects/products in any combination will be
considered for inclusion in the final book.  SRTP with a Polycom phone
and a Cisco gateway via OpenSER?  Awesome!  OpenSER + Realtime
Asterisk integration?  Very cool.

  The link to request an account is buried in the text.  To request an
account please send a brief e-mail explaining yourself, your
experience, and the types of recipes you are planning to work on to
Bruce @ O'Reilly:

bruce at oreilly.com

  Bruce will then (most likely) contact the current team of authors
(more like editors, really) to approve your account.  Yes, I'm one of
those "editors".  We're really just trying to keep it from becoming a
free for all and make sure we're getting the best content we can.

  I know you were a technical reviewer for "Building Telephony Systems
with OpenSER".  We need those too.  That's just another advantage to
developing a book on a Wiki.  If you (or anyone else) doesn't have
time to write full recipes you could always be a technical reviewer.
We could always use another set of eyeballs on the recipes.  Fire of
an e-mail to Bruce - he'll get you setup.

  As far as versions...  I use 1.2 almost exclusively but by the time
the book is published (TBD) 1.3 will probably be where 1.2 is now
(guessing).  We'll probably take recipes for either 1.2 or 1.3, just
reflect the version in your recipe.  One more nice thing - O'Reilly
will keep the Wiki up even after the first book is published (for
free), eventually leading to a second edition.  We'll make sure to
reference the URL in the printed book for readers to check for any
updates.

--
Kristian Kielhofner
http://blog.krisk.org