[OpenSER-Users] Openser1.3.1 performance figures

Thu Jul 3 11:06:35 CEST 2008

Henning Westerholt schrieb:
> On Friday 27 June 2008, Sundaramoorthy, Vijaianand wrote:
>> We are trying to benchmark openser1.3.1 - installed in a 2cpu-dual
>> core(Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU 5110  @ 1.60GHz),hp c-class blade, with 2GBRAM.
>> OS:RHEL4U5.
>>
>> We have configured openser with mysql database as registerer.
>>
>> We are using IMS Bench(IMS SIPp),to generate SIPp traffic - combination of
>> registration/re registration/de-registration/call flow(uac)/scenarios.
>>
>> It looks like, the when the calls per second is increased 150/200 CPS,
>> calls started failing.
>>
>> Is this is normal acceptable performance figures for openser for the above
>> configuration?
>>
>> we record route all the SIP requests (except for REGISTER,MESSAGE ) and we
>> do have mysql database for authenticating registration requests.
>>
>> Attached, the openser.cfg
>> Also attached the Error logs from SIPP.
>>
>> Anyone have some clues/hints?
>
> Hi Vijaianand,
>
> the number you've quotes is not that bad, but you should be able to achieve a
> better performance with four 1.6 GHz cores. Does everything run on this one
> machine, e.g. the IMS bench and the database?
>
> I assume that the DB is the bottleneck in your configuration, try to use
> usrloc in db_mode=0 to test. Another possible issue can be DNS, try to use
> IPs instead names or a local dns cache.

Also take a look at the CPU usage. Is it reaching 100% when problems
start? Increase the number of processes, e.g children=10 and see if the
performance increases.

Like Henning said start finding the bottleneck. Disable all external
components like DNS lookups and DB queries (usrloc, authentication,
accounting). Then take a look if the performance is better. Then add
again one after the other and find the bottleneck.

regards
klaus