[Kamailio-Users] event notifications and user aliases

Alexander 'Leo' Bergolth leo at strike.wu-wien.ac.at
Thu Aug 28 08:49:45 CEST 2008

Hi!

I'd like to implement P2P presence and extension monitoring for my SIP
network.

Our users register by using a numeric extension (e.g.
sip:226050 at wu-wien.ac.at), but most of the time, they are contacted
using a user alias that looks like their email-address (e.g.
sip:bergolth at wu-wien.ac.at). So the addresses stored in their
buddy-lists won't be the "real"-SIP-URI of the users.

Will there be a problem if I translate those aliases on subscription, so
that a user may also subscribe for the presence of a user alias?

If I rewrite SUBSCRIBE requests to use the "real" SIP-URI on
subscription, the following NOTIFY messages will contain the wrong URI
in the From-header and in the pidf body. But maybe this won't be a
problem, since the watcher can assign it to the correct username because
the NOTIFY belongs to the same dialog as the SUBSCRIBE?

Will the user agents be able to correctly assign those notifications to
their contacts?

Any experiences with this?

Cheers,
--leo
--
e-mail   ::: Leo.Bergolth (at) wu-wien.ac.at
fax      ::: +43-1-31336-906050