[Kamailio-Users] project status and my decisions

Bogdan-Andrei Iancu bogdan at voice-system.ro
Fri Aug 15 14:05:27 CEST 2008

Hi Daniel,

Daniel-Constantin Mierla wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> following the last events everybody perhaps wonders what is going on. I
> was surprised by the way everything happens and I am not sure yet how
> this resulted.

Hiding behind the finger it will make the problems disappear.

Trying to paint everything is pink doesn't solve make anybody happier.

I say the problems (lack of boost in devel) and tensions (too much
politics, too few progress) from the project were very visible from the
inside and outside (community). So, let's stop pretending.

> Probably a bit of time is needed to clarify relations between developers
> themselves and community as well. There is not any official statement
> that a developer quited the support for this project, but I guess the
> trust between some is at lowest level possible.

the most disappointing reaction I saw form the board was "if somebody is
not with us, it is our enemy"  - nice.
And now you expect me to support kamilio after 2 weeks when people put
me labels and did underground work to denigrate me as person ans my work..
well, you have high expectations, I say

> It is clear that we cannot say anything about a board right now that
> manages the project.
actually the board was more or less not capable to contain most of the
critical situations. The board right now is not able to contain its own
problem or disagreements and individual plans.
Lack of a value-based management made me to take the decision of moving
the work on OpenSIPS - and based on the so far reactions from the board,
I'll really happy that I walked away.
> From board discussions summary you may see that
> discussions were conducted to create a legal entity around the project,
> a non profit foundation. This might be hard to achieve in this status,
> but as a personal decision, I am not going in any other management group
> unless there is a legal framework backing up. Human relations prove to
> be pretty unpredictable and not conforming with initial statements.

Right - for ~5 months, the board was not able to pick a name for the
project, even we had a clear deadline after one month. And the board
thought is it more important to discuss about a foundation, even there
was no clear need for it. As I see, there was more a political interest
in the foundation, rather than an survival interest in getting a new name.
Why there is a need of a foundation?
     - to mange the contributions (like 50 euros per year)???
     - to be an easy target for legal actions ???
     - to put on somebody the stamp of being the "kamilio" president???
     - to spend more effort in handling the foundation instead of
actually working on the project ???
> What is sure now - openser 1.3.x and 1.4.x will be maintained properly
> and I am volunteering to take care but hope others will join. It is
> really a good achievement of a sip server. Decision about future
> development will be based on community and developers feedback for this
> project. I am not going to promise anything by myself as I admit one
> person (to be more specific: myself) cannot take care of the entire code
> base -- I am just realistic, not willing to sell dreams. I think the
> people that still believe in the project can come with suggestions and
> alternatives of future development.
>
> What I can tell for sure, I am not going to join a fork of the original
> openser project. If something happened to make developers not working
> together, solution to solve nicely could have been found, in the worst,
> maybe just by splitting teams, but keeping old domain together just to
> show the new alternatives.

Right, "after the battle, many heroes show up" - What you are saying are
nice words, but with no background. I have not seen any effort in
solving the problems - people were only interested in solving their own
problems.
Looking at the mailing list, I see no effort in solving issues. Just
people making void statements.
> "Why not joining a fork in this manner?"> Because I was one of the
> founders of this one and involved in development and management at top
> level. If I failed to build something I started, I had all the tools in
> my hands,
Wrong - the tools were not in somebody]s hands, but in the board's hands
. And board simple proved it did not understood the problems I was raising.
> why just creating something similar saying the old is crap but
> this new one will be the best? What is the difference?
The difference is in the future. Staring from the same point, but
following different paths, you end up in different points.

If you try to see in the future and not in presence only, you will see
the difference.
>  Why I didn't do
> it first time? Would I be able to fool someone? Does leaving my ship in
> secrecy on back door will bring more trust on me? I doubt and perhaps
> you, too.

This is a good one :) - the kamilio ship sailing to Hawaiian lands......

If everybody would be so good in working to the project as in making
statements, the project would have been far, far away by now.

You can blame me, if this make you happy - but after all is about
carrying on the work and not about playing games or fulling around with
endless politics.

botton line - this is open source and people are free to work where they
like - if kamilio does not provide me the work environment I'm looking
for, than I can freely move in other place. For me the work on the
project is the most important.

Bogdan