[Kamailio-Users] project foundation

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Wed Aug 13 02:57:09 CEST 2008

Daniel-Constantin Mierla wrote:

> On 08/12/08 20:47, Alex Balashov wrote:
>> Do you have a general sense of the general price range in which the
>> dues for associate members will fall?
>>
> a quick operational expenses estimation for the first year brought up
> the figure of ~3000Euro, that includes the expenses for creating the
> foundation, two hosted servers (one main, one backup), domain names and
> trademark registrations. The costs regarding TM registration expenses
> (US&EU) are not yet very clear to me, maybe someone can shed some light
> if he/she did it recently.
>
> What will be extra will be used to pay seasonly some admin to keep the
> servers up to date and secure, support events about project.
>
> Based on above figures, the membership fees should be like:
> - 100Euro/year for individual members
> - 500Euro/year for companies

That's high.  It's actually a rather bad figure, psychologically, in the
sense that it is too high for some very small companies (some of the
ones most enthusiastic about the use of OpenSER) to be able to bear
(believe me, in the up-and-down, feast-or-famine that is the one or
two-man show consulting business, $62 USD/mo, which is what EU500/year
works out to, is a serious expense to be carefully controlled).  And for
more established to mid-size companies, while easily affordable, it is
not a sum they would deem worthwhile to pay to be a member of some
foundation of something that is fundamentally free.  They'd much rather
just leave it to everyone else to support it.  It's a lot like the
prisoner's dilemma.

Personally, I think you should make it EU25/year for individuals and
EU100/year for companies.  You'll get a lot more contributing members
that way, since that is an amount that, from a psychological
perspective, many many more people would be willing to pony up.
("$12/mo?  Sure, whatever.")

You should also make sure that you allow the option of paying monthly
instead of collecting the dues up-front.  This gets you a recurring - if
amortised - income stream that you can count on more, and it further
greatly increases the amount of people willing to pay, because
$10-$20/mo has a lot less psychological impact than $150, "RIGHT NOW!"

I cannot speak for the European dimension of the community, but I can
say that Americans, at least, are generally very reluctant to part with
nontrivial sums of money, even for things that they theoretically
support and wholeheartedly endorse conceptually.  It is best to find
ways to diffuse the issue by making the amounts small but steady, rather
than large and thought-provoking.

-- Alex

--
Alex Balashov