[Kamailio-Users] project foundation

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 23:29:22 CEST 2008

Hello,

On 08/12/08 16:39, Adam Linford wrote:
> Good stuff!
>
> I think that, for the most part, the business and technical facets of
> the organisation should remain fairly distinct.  The board needs
> representation with regards to technical direction (and should have
> this input from the organisations official 'members' under my
> understanding of the current proposal), but its purpose should be to
> keep developers free to code, and users free to use, safe in the
> knowledge that resources will be made available (where neccessary) for
> the project to achieve its objectives (both long and short term).
yes, there are going to be no restrictions in usage or coding, but have
an organization with legal framework behind that can take care of
trademarks, manage resources and administration of the project.

> We could make non-executive positions on the board available.
A good suggestion.
> These should be unbiased people.. perhaps invite some big names in the
> SIP field, that can provide an independent review of the boards
> activities, as well as assisting the board in its role.  This is a
> tried and tested directorial structure that would also appeal to the
> corporate world, which in turn might make it easier to achieve
> corporate sponsorship/contributions/membership (as well as adoption of
> the software in industry!).
>
> I don't think an executive committee is needed within the board.. the
> board itself should suffice.  If it doesn't, we don't have the right
> board.  I would suggest keeping the main board size small (5-8) to
> keep it agile whilst maintaining good representation of members
I think would be good to have some clear positions so people should know
who to address to when comes to dealing with the foundation. Also, by
this, people can allocate the proper time in their schedule for the
tasks. We may avoid in this way some members expecting the others to do
some work.

> Election rules need discussing.. duration of term for board and also
> the achievement of 'member' status.. we dont want potential developers
> discouraged from working with us in the traditional open source model
> because they would have too much responsibility placed on them to be
> 'active members'.
Being an active member is just free will. But we want to avoid being a
member with voting right just by paying some money. That meber should
show interest and contribute to the project in a positive manner.
Indeed, this needs to be addressed.

> Frequency of meetings etc are all relatively easy decisions that can
> be deferred to the board once i elected.
Yes, I believe the same.

> Cheers,
> Adam
>
> On 12 Aug 2008, at 12:16, Daniel-Constantin Mierla wrote:
>
>> Hello everybody,
>>
>> I think it is the time to move forward with project management
>> structure. During last days there were talks and discussions on the
>> lists, the solution to make the project independent and long term
>> trustable is to create a foundation.
>>
>> We made a draft of purpose and organization structure and we want to get
>> your comments.
>>
>> http://www.kamailio.net/dokuwiki/doku.php/admin:foundation-draft
>>
>> For the statute we are looking at similar cases of foundations around
>> open source projects. Considering the developer population and
>> contributors, I find as good and reliable place to register the
>> foundation to be Germany.
>>
>> There is still long way to go and a lot to discuss:
>>
>>    *
>>
>>      membership fees
>>
>>    *
>>
>>      how one can become a full member (associate member can be anyone
>>      that is friend of the project and pays the membership fee)
>>
>>    *
>>
>>      how a member loses the board or full member rights
>>
>>    *
>>
>>      how the board is supervised

>>            when and how the reports of the board are presented

>>            when and how the general assembly meeting takes place

>>            how the reports are approved by full members
>>
>>    *
>>
>>      how to change the statute over time
>>
>> ... and perhaps more, but if we start and put some effort we can have it
>> ready in reasonable time, avoiding trust and reliability issues in long
>> term.
>>
>> Let's have debates here and contribute the results to the wiki.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Daniel
>>
>> --
>> Daniel-Constantin Mierla