[Kamailio-Users] Question about registrar lookup() and branching.

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Wed Aug 6 11:39:26 CEST 2008

Klaus Darilion wrote:

> I wonder how you manage to do this without Asterisk. AFAIK Asterisk is
> the only SIP client which allows you to specify the userpart of the
> contact.

Not elegantly or consistently, that's for sure.

Various UAs have various configurable fields that relate to how they
populate the contact.  For instance, the Twinkle softphone turns out to
use the 'Username' (as opposed to 'Authentication Username') for this.
Regrettably, it also furnishes that 'Username' for the AOR itself,
although it uses the 'Authentication Username' for the digestion portion.

Part of the intent is to build enough workarounds in the branch logic;
if the username == the AoR, route it.  If it's 's', route it, etc.

> I think this is the design problem. If you do not want branching then
> you should not have multiple contacts for the same AoR.

Well, in principle, I concur!  Sadly I am dealing here with some
requirements not my own.

> IIRC there was an extension to SIP registration in the SIPConnect
> specification of the SIP forum how to register multiple DIDs. Maybe this
> can give you some more ideas how to solve the problem.

Ah - thanks.  Although, admittedly, it is a most abstruse read.

-- Alex

--
Alex Balashov
Evariste Systems