[OpenSER-Users] Recommendations for IM/Voice/Video client

Iñaki Baz Castillo ibc at aliax.net
Thu Apr 10 20:25:27 CEST 2008

El Jueves, 10 de Abril de 2008, Robert McGilvray escribió:
> This is a little off-topic, but figured it was a good place to ask.
>

> We're interested in deploying OpenSER coupled with a SIP client
> primarily used for IM, but also for voice and video conferencing. I'm
> looking for feedback and recommendations on clients from people that may
> do this already or have been involved with it.
>

> So far one of the better ones looks like Bria (a step up from Eyebeam)
> from CounterPath. One short coming though is the lack of IM
> conferencing.  I could probably rig something up with IMC but our users
> would prefer to have a clicky GUI for it. This is for an enterprise and
> it'd be nice to be able to brand it.

I've tryed Bria but in its web page it appears:

  IM Management
  - Send instant messages to groups
  - Use IM tabs for multiple IM conversations in one window
  - See IM alerts for incoming IM

It's not as a IM conferencing in a server side, but maybe enought...

Anyway, you can do a conference with IMC module and create contacts like "IM
room 1", "IM room 2" in each client.

Of course, for now there is no way to know which users are joining a
conference. There are two RFC's about it:

  - SIP Event Package for Conference State
       http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4575

  - SIP Call Control - Conferencing for User Agents
       http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4579

but AFAIK there are not yet client side implementation.

--
Iñaki Baz Castillo