[OpenSER-Users] Unregister a user when not responding to SIP pings

Iñaki Baz Castillo ibc at in.ilimit.es
Thu Sep 20 13:35:30 CEST 2007

El Thursday 20 September 2007 12:45:53 Juha Heinanen escribió:
> Iñaki Baz Castillo writes:
>  > But in that case your SIP client would register again, wouldn't it?
>
> sip phone has not noticed that underlying ip connectivity over some
> wireless media is lost for the period the train is in tunnel unless it
> tries to register at the same time.

Yes, I meant the "human" person could do it. Anyway common softphones don't
allow a REGISTER option (except Twinkle as I know), so just forget my
suggestion. :)

>  > If you are in a escenary with easy connection lost then is user task to
>  > set the REGISTER period shorter.
>
> no sip specification today mandates or even recommends setting register
> period short if there is possibility for temporary loss of connectivity.
> dropping of registration if contact does not respond would thus cause
> problems.

Yes, but there are problems too if a registered user has killed him softphone
or PC without letting it sending the un-REGISTER. In that cases other user
calling to him receive an infinite "Trying", while with my suggestion of
un-register, callers would see "not found".

I don't know which issue is worse, but I'm sure that too many times a SIP
device "dissapears" without sending a un-REGISTER.

There could be two options:

  modparam("nathelper", "unregister_not_ping", 1)
  - 1: Enabled
  - 0: Dissabled.

  modparam("nathelper", "unregister_not_ping_time", 60)
  - Time after a not ping responding user should be un-registered.

PD: Do you think I could report this as a wish in the tracker? or are you sure
is really a bad idea?

Thanks.

--
Iñaki Baz Castillo