[OpenSER-Users] OpenSER with MySQL Cluster

Christian Schlatter cs at unc.edu
Wed Sep 19 15:42:19 CEST 2007

Kerker Staffan wrote:
> hi
> i'm curious about this one. we used to run a dual Openser installation
> with MySQL cluster, but this proved to very unstable (on the cluster
> side).
> is this working fine now?
>
> for instance, if one of the mysql cluster nodes was disconnected, this
> could
> lead to complete cluster shut down, and nodes didn't handle reconnect
> very
> good.
>
> so, we actually switched to the register replication instead...

We're running a mysql 5.0.22 cluster for our two redundant openser
proxies. This setup works very stable for about a year now.

In the beginning our cluster was shutting down itself quite regularly
e.g. after a network failure. Since then we

- are running the management nodes on hosts that are connected to the
data nodes through different network paths
(this is essential, a cluster node needs to be able to solve the
splitbrain problem)

- have added 'StopOnError = 0' to the data node settings
(this causes a data nodes to try to reconnect after it lost
communication to its neighbors, per default, a data node just shuts
itself down)

- added enough DataMemory and IndexMemory for the data nodes (DataMemory
= 1024M, IndexMemory = 64M)

Overall I'm quite pleased with our mysql cluster solution, although I'd
prefer a solution where the UAs do register with both of our proxies, so
that there is no need to replicate registration state between the proxies.

Our mysql cluster basically only contains the 'location' table since we
store all account data on redundant LDAP/H350 directories.

/Christian