[OpenSER-Users] snmpstats agent failing to connect to master agent

Gabi Mahu gabimahu at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 17 09:41:30 CEST 2007

Hello all,

I am currently trying to get the snmpstats module up
and running, for monitoring purposes.

I followed the instructions in the module
documentation, I studied Net-SNMP references and I
searched web resources for several days now, but still
I couldn't succeed in starting the openser module
properly. I have no idea what the problem could be.

The NET-SNMP part of the equation seams to work
properly: I am using the 5.4.1 version. I managed to
play around with the tools from the package, in local
and remote scenarios too. I was able to send and
receive traps, get and set different values in the MIB
tree, load new MIBs...

On the openser part, I'm not doing something special.
I have a config file that does nothing, except load
the snmpstats module and set the limits for the
dialogs and the unparsed data traps. That's it. I
tried with fork on yes and on no, because I found out
from my web searches that this could be a problem, but
all I got was some logging in the no fork scenario,
saying that the snmp agent from snmpstats could not
connect to the master agent, the snmpd that runs on
the same machine. The "check for a proper
configuration" step in the module documentation failed
also, before this (I got no output in the snmpd window
after openser was started, until that point,
everything was like in the documentation), so this
couldn't work actually, but i still did it anyway.

The problem must be in the configuration files, but it
escapes me. This is the content of the files (yes,
both in the same location...):

snmpd.conf -----------------------------------
com2sec notConfigUser  default       public
group   notConfigGroup v1           notConfigUser
group   notConfigGroup v2c           notConfigUser
view    systemview    included   .1.3.6.1.2.1.1
view    systemview    included   .1.3.6.1.2.1.25.1.1
access  notConfigGroup ""      any       noauth
exact  systemview none none
syslocation localhost (edit /etc/snmp/snmpd.conf)
syscontact Root <root at localhost> (configure
/etc/snmp/snmp.local.conf)
pass .1.3.6.1.4.1.4413.4.1 /usr/bin/ucd5820stat
rocommunity public localhost
trapsink localhost:162 public
trap2sink localhost:162 public
authtrapenable 1
master agentx

snmpstats.conf -------------------------------
agentXSocket tcp:localhost:705

And the way I start snmpd now is: snmpd -f -Lo -M
/usr/local/share/mibs -m ALL -d -x tcp:localhost:705
I did try several versions including the one found in
the module documentation.

This is the context of my problem.
Hopping that there is a small, but obvious mistake, in
my config files, due to my lack of attention or
something, and not a more serious thing, I thank you
for your time.

Gabriel Mahu