[OpenSER-Users] How to expose the expires value in REGISTER

Robert Dyck rob.dyck at telus.net
Wed Oct 31 17:45:29 CET 2007

I am wondering how to expose and test the value of the expires parameter in a
REGISTER request.

I am experimenting with openser as the basis for a home phone network. I use
multiple devices with the same user ID. They register locally ( with no
reply ) and with an external service provider. The contacts are mangled to
show the public address of openser. Multiple registrations result in a single
AOR at the external registrar. Incoming calls from the outside are forked and
ring the local phones. Local phones can also call each other without the
hairpin problem associated with STUN enabled phones.

The problem is that a softphone will deregister when it is closed or its
profile changes. This would deregister the AOR at the external registrar. The
remaining phones could not receive calls from the outside until they
refreshed their registrations.

I would like to prevent deregistration at the external registrar unless the
phone that was deregistering was the only remaining one. The first step would
be to identify REGISTER messages where the expires value is equal to zero.

Any thoughts?
Thanks Rob