[OpenSER-Users] sanitizing sip requests

Daniel-Constantin Mierla daniel at voice-system.ro
Thu Oct 18 16:26:59 CEST 2007

On 10/18/07 10:47, Klaus Darilion wrote:

> William Quan schrieb:
>> Hi all,
>> I came across a security alert that basically embeds javascript in the
>> display name of the From to initiate cross-site-scripting (XSS) attacks.
>> Here is an example:
>>
>> From: "<script>alert('hack')</script>""user"
>> <sip:user at domain.com
>>

> Thats a cool attack. I fear there will be more smart attacks in the
> next time.
cooler and cooler. My opinion is that the client should take care. I do
not see any reason why an application will interpret the display or user
name. It should be printed as it is. Same we can say may happen with the
email, when the text message will be interpreted, but not just
displayed. Would be funny to get compile errors or code executed when
someone just gives a snippet in a message.

AFAIK, unless is need for escape/unescape, those values should be taken
literally. Of course, having something in openser to detect/prevent
would be nice, but just as an add-on. Don't forget that some headers
bring nightmare after changing them -- although, in such cases, the
caller device won't care too much :)