[Users] CPU load, ERROR: append_branch: max nr of branches exceeded, etc..

Dan Mechanic dm2474 at ais.columbia.edu
Wed May 23 22:26:21 CEST 2007

Forgive me if this question is a little open-ended...  I am new to openser
and sip, and trying to learn all I can...

I am looking for information regarding:
ERROR: append_branch: max nr of branches exceeded

I understand that this error can be avoided by increasing the value of
MAX_BRANCHES and recompiling openser, but, I am curious as to what happens
when this error has been reached.

Here's our situation... We use openser, and have a separate openser presence
server.  We had a situation recently where it seemed our presence server was
bombarding our proxy to the point where the load on the proxy jumped and
phones became unusable.  Taking down the presence server seemed to alleviate
the troubles.

Also, we have an intermittent issue with phone reboots and lost calls,
particularly on extensions that are on more than 12 phones (MAX_BRANCHES is
currently set to 12).

So, my question is, is this failure (max nr of branches exceeded) an
innocuous one?  or could it lead to futher failures (and maybe sip message
recents... thus the bombardment)...  Are there known side affects of this
failure?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks Much!

Best,