[Users] "detached" timer

Jerome Martin jmartin at longphone.fr
Fri Mar 30 17:02:28 CEST 2007

On Fri, 2007-03-30 at 16:39 +0200, Jiri Kuthan wrote:

> Well actually I think so. I am not sure what else you could call for a software to be of
> radical change than complete change of the underlying data structures and associated
> algorithms :-). (referring to the timer subsystem)

Right, after looking at the code. What I was saying is ".... and it is
not immediatly evident  ...", by "immediatly" I meant "at first look",
"just by looking at the docs" ...

> >They changed a bit parameters to configure various timers from config file, and they of course retained the ability to change fr_timer and fr_inv_timer (interesting for controlling max ringing duration) on-the-fly on a per-transaction basis.
>
> The key thing (in addition to minor) is elimination of race conditions.

That is an intersting one. Do you have any pointers to the relevant
parts of code or to which structural changes enables that ?

> >They also are currently developping a very interesting module called "timer", which provides the ability to set timers on-the-fly, with callback implemented as routes called when the custom timers fire. This seems pretty simple in their model, the timer module being only 408 lines long (but I can't tell if this works already or not).
>
> Yes, that's a cute thing but I was previsouly merely referring to the under-the-hood kind of things.

Yes, I understand that now.

> >An other puzzling fact is that SER's implementation of timers in tm module is about half the size as OpenSER's .... I'm not sure we can infer anything from this fact, still it made me curious.
>
> Neither am I.

OK, OK, this one was not very insightfull from me :-)