[Users] "detached" timer

Jerome Martin jmartin at longphone.fr
Fri Mar 30 16:47:09 CEST 2007

> > For people interested in looking at what SER does, this message led me
> > to take a look a SER 2.0 documentation and bits of code, and it is not
> > immediatly evident that they are taking a radically different route
> > ... they also improved timer granularity (down to a resolution of 62.5
> > ms).
> openser 1.2 has a granularity of milliseconds - you can adjust it as you
> want, based on your system requirements. Default value is of 100
> milliseconds - the tests showed it is enough for high quality
> retransmissions without any performance penalties.

I was not arguing, just quoting facts.
However it is good you clarify this for OpenSER, some people might have
though my statement was implying SER is "better" or "worse" in this
respect. But this is not the case, things are just different :-)

> > They also are currently developping a very interesting module called
> > "timer", which provides the ability to set timers on-the-fly, with
> > callback implemented as routes called when the custom timers fire.
> > This seems pretty simple in their model, the timer module being only
> > 408 lines long (but I can't tell if this works already or not).
> I agree with you, there are a lot of thinks you can build, but the
> question is about their importance (as usage). as you know, we want to
> focus more one the hot topics (things really needed) and to avoid
> wasting resources for thinks not needed at that moment.

In fact, I'd say that such module would be great if someone needs it and
want to code and contribute it :-)
Still I found the idea interesting, but only because I have _features_
in the back of my mind ...

> > An other puzzling fact is that SER's implementation of timers in tm
> > module is about half the size as OpenSER's .... I'm not sure we can
> > infer anything from this fact, still it made me curious.
> well...size does not matter ;) - also the code structuring may differ.
> and so far I found no relation between size an quality for code :)

Right. But sometimes, with an identical functionnal-set, length of code
(with a ponderation for code density per line) might be an indicator of
added complexity. But this can not really be generalized, typical
counter-example being language idioms, often very compact but more
error-prone and less readable in general.

Regards,
Jerome