[Users] OpenSER not sending responses to IP in via header

Tim Madorma tmadorma at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 18:02:22 CET 2007

Hi,

I have an OpenSER behind a BIG IP load balancer. The scenario is as follows:

1) The UAC will initiate the call with an INVITE that has the REQ URI
set to the IP of the BIG IP.

2) The OpenSER has an alias configured for the IP address of the BIG
IP so it receives the incoming INVITE, but when it sends a 100
response, it does not send it to the UAC address that is specified in
the VIA header, rather it sends it to the source IP (which is the IP
of the BIG IP load balancer). This is undesirable.

3) After the UAS receives the proxied INVITE, it responds with a 100,
then answers with a 200.

4) When the OpenSER receives the 100, it forwards this back to the BIG
IP load balancer! First, I am surprised that it fowards a 100 at all,
and second it is undesirable to send any responses to the BIG IP load
balancer since the via header indicates the IP of the UAC.

5) When the OpenSER receives the 200, it forwards it back to the BIG
IP also.. again, I don't know why it isn't sending to the IP address
of the via - which is that of the UAC.

Any suggestions would be most helpful.

Here are my related openser.cfg settings:

# LOCAL IP ADDRESS AND PORTS
listen=65.185.232.62:5061
listen=65.185.232.62:5062
listen=65.185.232.62:5063

# IP ADDRESS AND PORTS OF THE BIG IP LOAD BALANCER
alias=65.185.233.104:5061
alias=65.185.233.104:5062
alias=65.185.233.104:5063

thanks,