[Users] LCR and-or PDT

Morgan Gilroy morgan at telappliant.com
Wed Jun 20 12:35:13 CEST 2007

Hi I am migrating from an old version of SER to OpenSER 1.2, in our old
configuration we have a lot of hosted domains, for each domain we have a
lot of 'short codes' ie dial *7312345 to make a call to free world
dialup id 12345, so the prefix is *73.
Unfortunately all these short codes are hard coded in ser.cfg, its
difficult to manage and takes up a lot of the configuration file.

One of my tasks in migrating to OpenSER is to database enable these
short codes. Looking over the documentation I found the modules LCR and
PDT both do NEARLY what we want but not quite...

LCR, the most complicated of the two but works well, I can get a short
code to be forwarded to an external gateway BUT only to an ip address
not a hostname, the final request URI will be INVITE
12345 at 209.123.16.48.
This works for some providers but a vast number require the correct
hostname in the request.
	1. is there a way to force it to send a given hostname taken
from the database instead of the ip address?

PDT, the simplest and to be honest probably what we want to use, the
only problem with it is that it does not like none numeric prefixes (it
only accepts 0-9 in the first char) anything else causes the load to
fail.
I have looked at the source code and hacked it to accept *-9 but it now
works as we require.
	1. is there another way to do this without hacking the code like
this?
	2. is it worth me submitting this as a 'fix' to the dev list?
(will others find it useful?)

The thing is the company I work for don't want to run the live systems
on my hacked version they will only use the latest released version
because they don't want the extra support overhead of keeping our own
custom patches.

Are there any other modules or methods that could do this? I really
don't want to resort to executing a perl script to do the lookup for me.

Thanks!