[Users] rtp relay & transcoding

Ryan Mitchell brak2718 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 16:50:45 CEST 2007

Regarding RTP relay (e.g. media proxy), and transcoding --

This topic has come up many times before in various forms, but I still have
not found any obvious solution that's highly scalable and cheap (well sure,
I can dream).  We have lots of customers behind various firewalls using
various codecs.  Customers call each other (both parties behind firewall)
and to/from carriers.

Certainly this is a common use-case.  What do you do?  What are best known
practices?  Commercial media gateway, or open-source solutions?

We use both OpenSER and a custom B2BUA written against the NIST Java stack.
We need a way to transcode when needed.  Obviosly mediaproxy module is
great, but doesn't transcode.

Ideally, what I'm looking for:

* at the point where our system determines that transcoding or rtp relay is
needed, a media gateway is chosen based on network proximity (e.g.: 1/2 our
customers are in the U.S., 1/2 in Brazil; should pick a media gateway
accordingly to minimize network path).

* our system then signals the media gateway (mgcp?) to setup the channels,
and modifies the SDPs in the SIP path accordingly.

* even more ideally: the media gateway signals our system with inband or
rfc2833 dtmf events, plus rtcp reports when available.

I think Asterisk could be hacked to do this.

Does anyone know of a commercial product that's not too expensive?
Thoughts? Advice?

thanks,
--
Ryan Mitchell <rjm at tcl.net>