[OpenSER-Users] Problem with handling 3xx responses and contact with maddr

Watkins, Bradley Bradley.Watkins at compuware.com
Wed Jul 25 21:22:33 CEST 2007

Just as a follow-up to my own problem, I think I understand better
what's happening (and have a band-aid/workaround).

It seems as though (and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong), OpenSER
at present does not differentiate URIs when they are identical excepting
for the addition of the maddr parameter.  RFC 3261, in section 19.1.4
URI Comparison, states "A URI that includes an maddr parameter will not
match a URI that contains no maddr parameter."

So:

sip:1234 at domain.com != sip:1234 at domain.com;maddr=1.2.3.4

This, in essence, is exactly what the Nortel system is doing.

The result seems to be that any attempt to push such a URI to $ru and
then append_branch() fails.

My workaround is this:  change the user part before the avp_pushto()
call, then change it back in a branch_route after the append_branch().

It seems to be working so far, except that it seems to create two
branches rather than one.  That's quite possibly (probably...) my fault,
as my script at the moment is pretty hacked up.  I'll sound the alarm if
I determine for sure that I'm not the culprit. ;)

- Brad