[Users] codec translation

Stefan Sayer stefan.sayer at iptego.de
Thu Feb 15 16:29:20 CET 2007

hi,

just a short description about this:

the rtpproxy-transcoder implements another command (I think it was 't')
which tells rtpproxy to transcode the stream. The codec must be selected
by the force_transcode function in nathelper and passed to the
rtpproxy-transcoder. With the current implementation the selected codec
is fixed. This could be improved of course to make it choosing a codec
from priority list or the like.

The rtpproxy-transcoder uses codec modules from SEMS. Any codec which is
implemented in SEMS can be used by the transcoder. So if there is a g927
implementation for SEMS (not yet) you could use it. The transcoder just
invokes the encode and decode functions of the codec module. For
adaptation of different packet sizes it also buffers audio until there
is enough audio to be sent. It also detects whether there is packet loss
and in that case throws away old buffered audio.

If this is added to rtpproxy as it is (without #defines), every normal
not transcoded rtpproxied session has two unused empty pointers. maybe
we could live with that.

Stefan

Atle Samuelsen wrote:
> * vallimamod abdullah <vabdulla at gmail.com> [070215 12:03]:
>> Hello,
>>
>> On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 11:19:37 +0100, Atle Samuelsen <clona at cyberhouse.no> wrote:
>>> Hi Guys,
>>>
>>> Just qurious.. How intrested are you guys in a very simple transcoder,
>>> wich is based on rtpproxy ?
>>>
>> I would be really interested in a g729 to g711 transcoder as I have a
>> pstn gateway that doesn't support g729.
>>
>> I am currently using mediaproxy but I would consider to either move to
>> rtpproxy with transcoder functionality or contribute to implement this
>> feature in mediaproxy.
>
> G729 is not implimented now. but if you look at the former mail I just
> wrote, you can see the status on the rtpproxy code with transcoder
> support.
>
> -Atle
>
>> --
>> Regards,