[Users] rtpproxy bridge mode with multiple handsets per extension

David Carter dpc22 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Sep 22 17:06:10 CEST 2006

Good afternoon,

I have a small openser test rig with rtpproxy running as a bridge
between two networks:

   rtpproxy -l <public IP>/<private IP> -s /tmp/rtpproxy.sock

This works well apart from one issue.

I have set up two handsets for an extension, one on the public network and
one on the private network. The idea is to provide one phone in the office
and one at home, so I can pick up at either location when someone calls.

If I call the extension both handsets ring correctly, but audio is only
set up correctly for one of the two handsets when I pick up. Everything
works fine if both phones are on the public or the private network.

I infer that this is because primitives working on the ruri and friends:

   avp_write("$ruri/domain", "i:20");

only work on the address of the first registered handset that they find,
even if lookup("location") has created multiple branches.

Does anyone have any ideas or workarounds which would allow me to set up
multiple handsets for a given extension when bridge mode is involved?

I tried abusing the aliases table to redirect an incoming call onto
multiple SIP URIs. It looks like rtpproxy indexes by Call-ID, and hence
struggles with multiple branches which share a single Call-ID.

Thanks,

David Carter                             Email: David.Carter at ucs.cam.ac.uk
University Computing Service,            Phone: (01223) 334502
New Museums Site, Pembroke Street,       Fax:   (01223) 334679
Cambridge UK. CB2 3QH.