[Users] redundancy

Steve Blair blairs at isc.upenn.edu
Thu Sep 21 15:52:56 CEST 2006

Ramin Dousti wrote:

> Hi Antoine,
>
> Unfortunately the site is unavailable (I'll keep trying).
>
> On the same token, I need to have some kind of redundancy. Someone
> on the list recommended the usage of NAPTR, SRV for that matter but
> as Bogdan pointed out that mechanism does not support automatic failover
> in its current state.
>
> Let me re-iterate my question, is there any way I could implement the
> failover mechanism based on the DNS A records within the configuration
> file. I've been going through the documentations and been unable to spot
> such a setting. Does anyone have any configuration snippet that shows how
> to "try this destination first, if the destination is unreachable,
> then try that
> destination". Please note that the failover I'm looking for is only
> with regards
> to the IP-connectivity failure, meaning if the next hop is not there I
> want to
> failover, and not if the transaction to the next hop fails with some
> legitimate
> return code.

In the proxy you can check the status of the t_relay and take corrective
action based on the result. Something like "if (t_check_status("403"))
... do something... " should work. What action you take will depend upon
the desired outcome. You could send the call to voicemail, a greeting
server, a different gateway, etc.

In the phones you can use SRV records to present a weighted list of
proxy servers. The phone would register to a domain name which is a SRV
record. This record resolves into the A records for each viable proxy.
You could weight and prioritize the A records thereby giving the phones
an ordered list of servers to try.

-Steve