[Users] Difference between Alias and Listen

Mark Kent mark at noc.mainstreet.net
Fri Oct 20 19:25:10 CEST 2006

Continuing on:

>> Basically what I am trying to achieve is to just have the server
>> listening on a specific (fixed) IP and just point multiple domain
>> names at it's public IP without having to edit the config or
>> restart openser. Do you know if this is possible?

I still think it is bad practice to list actual domain names
in a listen statement.    You should list IP addresses.
I'ld like to see someone with more experience running openser
agree with me.

Also I think most of my queries from earlier in this thread
remain unanswered, even though Juha took a stab at it he said
he couldn't speak authoritatively about some of it.

This part here is still unclear to me:

== > For example, if you are using the "domain" module then would we
== > expect to never have to use "uri==myself" and not have to list aliases?
== > (using is_uri_host_local() instead)
==
== i need to use alias for checking pre-loaded route header containing the
== domain name of the proxy.

I think that answer translates to

  "No.  You need uri==myself in addition to is_uri_host_local().
   The former gets messages directed AT you, the latter gets messages
   directed at the DOMAINS you support."

If so, I'ld like to see an unambigous "Yes, that is correct" from Juha
or Bogdan or Klaus...

Thanks,
-mark