[Users] SBC in free software

Tue May 23 12:53:24 CEST 2006

Manuel Ángel Rubio Jiménez wrote:
> Hi Klaus,
>
> El Lunes, 22 de Mayo de 2006 22:42, Klaus Darilion escribió:
>> Of course! It only depends what you understand under a SBC. There is no
>> common definition. There are several tasks which might performed by so
>> called SBCs. Some have more features, some have less.
>
> i see.
>
>> If you want NAT traversal, topology hiding, transcoding you can do this
>> also with (open)ser and Asterisk.
>> If you want to save the whales too, you have to go commercial ;-)
>
> I understand SBC as a SIP firewall, yesterday in night i found a proyect in
> SourceForge about it:

don't be blended by marketing terms (like SBC is).

You can do SIP message inspection also with openser.

the big difference is:
- when buying a commercial SBC, you get a block box, which does lots of
magic, runs usually fine, is impossible to debug, does not need lots of
config and is quite expensive

- when doing it yourself you have to have some time for configuration
and testing, get it for free, easy to debug, you can fix problems
yourself. But you have to understand the protocol and openser to make a
secure installation.

regards
klaus