[Users] Re: Regarding with openser and RADIUS ..

Wed May 3 15:26:32 CEST 2006

raviprakash sunkara wrote:

> Hello  Everybody,
>
> GoodMorning everybody,
>
> I install openser and softphone into my Box and i make a calls  kool and
> fine....
>
> I have some queries about the RADIUS.
>
> The queries are
>
> 1) What is RADIUS.. Why we need it and...

Radius can be used as authentication mechanism. The user data (login +
password) are stored in the Radius server and openser asks the Radius
server for verification. Thus, verification of credentials is done
inside the Radius server.

The other alternative is to use a database backend (subscriber table)
and openser authenicates against the credentials stored in the
subscriber table. Thus, verification of credentials is done inside openser.

> 2) How TO coneect RADIUS in openser.

use the auth_radius module (or the other radius modules if you need more
features)

> 3) Is it need to install the Radius in My Box..

No. Usually the Radius server is on another PC.

> 4) What are the Modules to connect the openser...
>
> 5) Any Examples with openSER and RADIUS.

If you do not know what Radius is and if you do not havfe the explicit
requirement to use Radius, then do not use it and use auth_db instead
(storing the user data in a database)

Also take a look at this thread:
http://mail.iptel.org/pipermail/serusers/2004-April/007407.html

regards