[Users] Usrloc performance

Teemu Harju teemu.harju at gmail.com
Tue Mar 7 10:32:38 CET 2006

Hi!

I've been running some performance tests on my OpenSER box and while
registering large number of users I faced some very strange problems. At
least they seem strange to me, but I hope someone on this list would be able
to shed some light on this.

So, I use Openser 1.0.1 and I load test it using SIPp. I've done tests
creating about 1000 registrations per second registering 300k-450k different
users. Register rate is constat and for each register different user is
used. What is strange to me that just about when 300k users have registered
the CPU of the PC running the proxy hits 100% usage and messages start
dropping. I made a nice image to illustrate my problem using Excel. I
attached it to this mail. On this test I registered 300k different users at
1000 RPS and after registering those users the registering starts again from
the beginning. As you can see from it the CPU usage rises constantly and
drops immediately after I've registered 300k users and the registering
starts again from the start. So then each user is being registered all over
again, but still the CPU load grows. Does anyone have explanation for this?
Why does the CPU usage grow based on the number of users registered? And why
does it drop for a while when registering starts all over again? I've tried
different usrloc modes, but there seems to be no difference. This one was
done with having usrloc only in the memory.

Regards,

Teemu

--
Teemu Harju