[Users] provisional response management ( 100 Trying )

Weiter Leiter bp4mls at googlemail.com
Thu Jul 20 19:31:23 CEST 2006

Hi,

Norman Brandinger wrote:
> At the top of our ROUTE_INVITE, we have:
>
>  #----------------------------------------------------------------------
>  # Let the UA know we are working on their request -
>  # they shouldn't send retransmissions
>  #----------------------------------------------------------------------
>  sl_send_reply("100", "Trying");
>
> This seems to work and it was adapted from code used during REGISTER
> processing.

If I got Missner's problem right, he wants to prevent sending multiple
100 replies back to the uac.

The rfc says - Page 109, paragraph 5 - that "MUST be forwarded
immediately [...] Any provisional response other than 100 (Trying)" and
later, in same paragraph that "A stateful proxy MUST NOT immediately
forward any other  [= 101<=x<=299] responses". Now, it's true that in
this case the proxy would not literally forward a 100 reply back, but
the uac would still see 2x100.

Now, if he does SL reply at the beginning, the tm module will, again,
send a 100 on his own, before relaying.

The question is how to prevent this, if I got it right...

WL.