[Devel] Re: [Users] Call-specific AVP DBS storage for OpenSER

Bogdan-Andrei Iancu bogdan at voice-system.ro
Thu Jan 19 12:24:44 CET 2006

Hi,

JF wrote:

>>>But if an AVP is stored in DB, it lives beyond the transaction
>>>lifetime and it never gets deleted unless avp_db_delete() is called
>>>for it from the script, right?
>>>

>>I see the DB as an external storage media. It's a special type of
>>location - a bulk storage.
>>

>>>Isn't this a kind of global AVP?
>>>

>>Indeed, you can load or delete from DB whenever you want, but sounds
>>like global C variables via DB :D. It's not something that should be done,
>>

>On the other hand, you would be able to manipulate global proxy
>behaviour without having to do a restart. But I guess there are better
>ways to achieve this, e.g. FIFO or unix sockets.

indeed - is what I'm thinking of - define (via script) or read (from DB)
the global AVPs at startup into memory, use them all the time from mem
and if you want to changes them use FIFO or unix socket.

>>>Also, if dialog IDs are used for AVP identification (UUID), these AVPs
>>>can be considered "Call-specific".
>>>

>>yes, but the main and most important idea is to keep the AVP into memory
>>(as variables) and avoid DB operations.
>>

>>>A dialog tracking module would be able to provide this identification
>>>and also guarantee that AVPs are deleted from DB when dialogs are
>>>terminated (provided record routing is active). What do you think?
>>>

>>if you have a dialog tracking module, why should you keep the AVP s into
>>memory attached to the dialog structure? it;s is more simpler and efficient?
>>

>Maybe you meant "shouldn't"...

yes, right :)

>In that case, I agree it would be more
>efficient to store AVPs in memory along with the dlg structure, of
>course. But if you add some other requirements, such as failover
>handling, maybe using DB for this purpose starts to make sense, IMHO.

in a failover scenario, you will also need to replicate the dialogs, so
you can also replicate the AVPs linked to them via same mechanism.

regards,
bogdan