[Users] NAT traversal with mediaproxy on natted private address

Chris Robson Chris.Robson at nrl.navy.mil
Fri Aug 25 02:33:35 CEST 2006

Simon

An idea that I've adopted, which may not work for you so its only a
suggestion, is use OpenVPN.  That is run your OpenSer as a OpenVPN
server as well.  OpenVPN is fairly easy to setup and it overcomes the
NAT issue, that is you simply let the one OpenVPN port thru and all the
devices internal or external can be attached to the OpenSER server as
either host-to-server or network-to-network peers.  It works so well I'm
making softphone client calls thru my OpenSER bounced to my Astwrisk PBX
and on through to any legacy analog PSTN phoneline telephone.   Just an
idea that works for me

...chris

Simon Morvan wrote:
>                                +----------+
> +-----+            +------+     |OpenSER   |   +------+
> |Phone|           |Router|     |MediaProxy|   |Router|
> +-----+           +------+     +----------+   +------+
>    |               |    |           |          |    |
> ---------------------  --------------------------  -------------- Internet
>      Private LAN A            Private LAN B
>

> Here is the situation : SIP phones are in a private LAN A. They can
> speak with the server
> hosting openser and mediaproxy which is located on private LAN B. This
> server can speak
> with the internet through a router that nat (1:1) its private IP on a
> public one.
>
> To be able to interconnect inside sip phone with outside ones, openser
> must advertise the
> private address of the mediaproxy to the inside sip phones and its
> public (nated) address
> to the outside sip phones. But afaik , the media proxy module doesn't
> let me dynamically
> choose the IP which replace the phone IP in the SDP.
>
> How do you think I can get through this ?
>
> --
> Simon Morvan.

Christopher L Robson
Senior Computer Scientist