[Users] Registering and rtpproxy/mediaproxy

Jeff Williams jeffw at globaldial.com
Tue Apr 4 05:20:09 CEST 2006

We have a commercial SIP server which currently does our registering,
low cost routing and customer billing. However, it doesn't handle NATed
connections well. To fix this, I wanted to use openser in front of it
for customer connections using mediaproxy/rtpproxy. However, I have a
problem with this setup.

>From what I gather, for the proxy to work properly, the end user need to
be registered with the proxy so that it can do nat pings and keep the
nat connection alive. But for users to make calls using our commercial
server (which is what we want), they must be registered there. Is it
possible (or even a good idea) to have a user registered on 2 servers at
the same time? How else can we do this?

This is what I want to achieve:
- from the end user perspective, they register and initiate calls only
via the openser proxy. They know nothing of our commercial server.
- calls between users is done on the openser proxy
- calls to external destinations (i.e. PSTN) go via our commercial
server and require that the user is registered there

Is this possible?

Jeff