[Serusers] Re: [Users] Detecting runaway calls

Federico Giannici giannici at neomedia.it
Mon Oct 31 18:04:35 CET 2005

Bogdan, can you give us more details of your plans?

We have to decide how to deal with the problem of killing a call in
progress and detect an hunged-up call.

I'd like to avoid the use of a B2BUA, so I'd like to know if, when and
how you plan to obtain this. I really cannot understand how you will
achieve this simply with a SER module. You need some way to store all
the data of dialogs in progress... Don't you?

Thanks.

Bogdan-Andrei Iancu wrote:
> Hi Greg,
>
> keeping the call control on your hands is an vital need...With the
> tomorrow release I prepared the first steps for a light dialog support
> based on Routing mechanism - complete FROM changing and restoring for
> the whole dialog was the prove of concept :).
> By being able to control the call from somewhere in the middle, I target
> especially issue no 2 and why not 4 and 5.
>
> ....and all this by avoiding the B2BUA.......
>
> regards,
> bogdan
>
> Greg Fausak wrote:
>
>> ya, that's been my experience too.
>> it's a bit embarrassing to send your customer a bill
>> for 18000 minutes on a single call...even if the gw operator
>> doesn't bill you, you bill your customer, right?
>>
>> i am very interested in a b2bua project. they
>> just come in handy for all sort of stuff.
>>
>> it is overkill for just terminating calls.  they have other
>> benefits as well...
>>
>> 1) homogenize the packets you see
>> 2) obscure your network/customers to gateways
>>     obscure gateways to your customers
>> 3) reduce packet size
>> 4) provide a handy spot to kill a call in progress
>> 5) and my favorite, hung call detection
>>
>> unfortunately, none of these benefits is large enough to
>> convince some people that a b2bua is needed.
>>
>> -g

     __
    |-                      giannici at neomedia.it