FW: [Users] SIP clients and DNS SRV

Helge Waastad Helge.Waastad at smartnet.no
Wed Oct 26 14:02:48 CEST 2005

 Forgot CC on this one.....

-----Original Message-----
From: Helge Waastad
Sent: 26. oktober 2005 13:56
To: 'Zen Kato'
Subject: RE: [Users] SIP clients and DNS SRV

Hi,
You know, even if DNS SRV works fine, you will have problems with NAT'ed
clients behind firewalls.
Ther reason is that the session is opened between the server handeling
the registration and the UAC.
If this on crashes, the second one will never be able to send INVITE to
the UAC since there is no open session through the firewall.

Yes, you will see service unavaliability up to the registration
interval, depending on the UAC functionality.

The only solution for this is a (outbound) proxy cluster using Linux-HA
(or vrrp) and a IP address take-over.
(Or a Border Controller, but these are not for free..)

Cisco 7960 works fine (also snom)
I've seen that Sipura in 3.1.5 release also supports dns srv for
redundancy/failover, but I have'nt tried it.