[Users] Re: [Serusers] trusting peers

Wed Oct 12 09:15:43 CEST 2005

Nils Ohlmeier wrote:
> On Tuesday 11 October 2005 16:32, Klaus Darilion wrote:
>
>>Jan Janak wrote:
>>
>>>  Client certificate ? Why ? Make sure that the client certificate is
>>>  created by a trusted CA (which is known to SER) and once a request
>>>  arrives over TLS then you know that the certificate was valid
>>>  (provided that you enable client certificate verification).
>>
>>Knowing that the certificate is valid is not enough. Badguy can have a
>>certificate for badguy.com which is perfectly valid, but this does not
>>imply that I trust badguy.com. I have to compare the certificate domain
>>with the domains of trusted peers somehow.
>

> Klaus, if you do not trust badguy.com although he has a valid singed
> certificate from a CA which you trust, then you can throw away TLS
> completely.

There is a big difference between authentication and authorization.

1. I have to authenticate the peer. Using TLS and certifiactes is fine.

2. I have to authorize the peer. Some peers will be e.g. routed
different. You would this this like:
    if (message is from trusted peer) {

So I need to check the certificate in ser.cfg somehow, or associate the
domain in the From header with the domain in the certificate.

Or do I miss the point?

regards
klaus