[Users] Call not torn down when CANCEL sent before INVITE message is finished being processed

Bogdan-Andrei Iancu bogdan at voice-system.ro
Mon Oct 10 20:30:21 CEST 2005

Hi Klaus,

Klaus Darilion wrote:

> Bogdan-Andrei Iancu wrote:
>
>> Hi Klaus,
>>
>> that was a second idea :).
>>
>> actually you do not have to do anything special to keep the CANCEL in
>> memory - it will be kept as transaction if you forward it statefully.
>> what I do not like in this approach is that for each INVITE you have
>> to search for a potential previous CANCEL  - which is quite
>> consuming... I would prefer an approach with minimum impact on the
>> performance.
>

> Hi Bogdan!
>
> One one hand we care about fast transaction handling/matching, on the
> other hand we have problem with external lookups which take a long
> time (db, radius, DNS ...) compared to opensers internal processing.

I'm aware of these problems - the idea is to try to reduce their effect,
depending of their specific.

> For example: 4 clients send an INVITE to a domain with a broken
> delegation. Thus, all threads are busy doing DNS. Thus, a SIP proxy
> which can handle 1000000000 requests per second is oversized in real
> life scenarios, were the external processing is the bottleneck (unless
> we start 1000000000 threads).

for DNS, for example - try to reduce the timeout on your DNS server;
also we consider having DNS cache for OpenSER - some contribution ;)

> Of course I'm happy that openser peforms quite well, but in my
> scenarios performance problems are always external. And I really would
> like a working INVITE/CANCEL which deals with these problems.

I will keep this is mind (if not, please remind me) and I will try to
fix it after the release ...in a way or another.

regards,
bogdan