[Users] REGISTER processing

Mon Oct 10 16:42:59 CEST 2005

Daniel-Constantin Mierla wrote:

> On 10/10/05 11:25, Klaus Darilion wrote:
>
>> Just to to throw oil on the fire: ;-)
>>
>> If the SIP UA uses TCP, and the connection is reset, usually the port
>> in the Contact URI changes. Thus, a new entry in the location table
>> will be created.
>
> this should not happen. The UA should register the contact address where
> it listens. Same tcp connection is used generally just at transaction
> level, then it is closed by server. Keeping the tcp connections open for
> long time will overload the server.

it happens: SNOM 360

> Ideally, in this case, the UA unregisters the previous contact when it
> detects that it will register another contact address. When the UA does
> not follow some basic rules, it is hard to predict and handle all
> situations that can occur.

I would be nice if a phone would do this, but I do not think TCP
implementations are better than UDP implementations.

> TCP and NAT will not work in most of the cases, and when there is no
> nat, the UA has no excuse to behave wrongly during registration.

If I would implement a SIP client using TCP the client would:
- open the TCP connection
- send keep alive (CRLF)
- if the connection is terminated by the proxy or there is a delivery
failure the client would immediately reconnect to the proxy.

IMO a SIP proxy should be able to keep >thousand TCP sessions open

regards
klaus