[Users] Re: openser/ser - avoiding forks

Daniel-Constantin Mierla daniel at voice-system.ro
Wed Jun 15 21:42:56 CEST 2005

Let's put it straight! First to clarify some things many users seem to
be confused about.

SER was started and developed inside FOKUS Fraunhofer Institute, Berlin.
All core developers of SER were employed until a stage by that
institute. Many contributors were inteship students at FOKUS, many are
still active contributors from their current location and others retired
from SER development. The development of SER was somehow known (or
promoted) as the "iptel" project (it is what the public mainly saw).

Now, none of the core developers are employed anymore by FOKUS. Some of
them created a venture named "iptelorg.com" where some other core
developers are employed now, and the others started "voice-system.ro".
Because the iptelorg has the control of the SER project site (iptel.org)
and a similar name, the general impression is that the SER was developed
by iptelorg which is far from true. For example, Juha contributed most
of the RADIUS code, enum and a lot of other modules...

Now, we are not saying that fork is good in general, otherwise it will
be a fork each day :-), but when there is no willing to cooperate,
hold-back policies and abuses for self-promoting I see no other way.

We will gladly participate in a *really* open source project. A very
good example is the Linux kernel -- it is clear that many of the main
developers and contributors are employed by major Linux vendors, which
have enterprise/closed releases, but you don't see on the main page of
kernel.org advertising for none of them. In the sources is no explicit
advertising message, and so on ...

So the proposal is:

- move the project's main site on an independent host (I bet there are
people willing to sponsor the hosting)

- remove all references that are intended for private publicity

- introduce a better management of the project, allowing people to be
able to take over when someone is very busy or unwilling to cooperate

- make the project really open for contributions and contributors.
Outstanding developers can be good reviewers for new contributors when
the others are busy

- don't hide the new features from the community, we are on open source,
what is the reason to have that ... so each new featured should be
described shortly to the community, otherwise keep it in a private
repository

- the next steps in develpment should be discussed between the
developers to avoid overlapping and waste of time and to select the best
way to do it

- members should have a fair attitude to the others and try to discuss
each issue is a nice manner (without trying to impose from beginning own
opinion and ideas)

This is shortly how we see it. If you agree (improvements are welcome),
then we can move forward together, otherwise we will maintain further
our code from SER as well as openser.

Daniel