[Users] Re: [Serdev] Re: [Serusers] OpenSER release

Jan Janak jan at iptel.org
Wed Jun 15 02:02:50 CEST 2005

On 14-06-2005 22:47, Bogdan-Andrei Iancu wrote:
> indeed, time (and to be more specific, allocated time for the public
> SER) was an important factor for deciding to start OpenSER. Also another
> factor was how to deal with new contributions and how to *help* them to
> get into the main stream. Placing them in a separate directory I think
> will not help too much - see the history of the snmp module.

  The history of SNMP module is simple -- it was a summer project of a
  FOKUS intern. The summer ended, the guy left FOKUS and noone was
  willing to maintain the module anymore. This has nothing to do with
  scarce resources -- there simply was no interest in that module.

  If placing new contributions into a separate directory will not help
  then placing them in another CVS repository where you have to apply
  for another username and password and the version of ser that you will
  be working with will be heavily modified will not help for sure. It
  would be more hard to integrated such contributions to the official
  SER.

     Jan.