[Users] Questions about openser

Michael Ulitskiy mdu113 at acedsl.com
Fri Jul 22 18:50:43 CEST 2005

Daniel,
Thanks for the reply. Please see inline.

On Friday 22 July 2005 04:31 am, Daniel-Constantin Mierla wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On 07/21/05 23:20, Michael Ulitskiy wrote:
>
> >Hello,
> >
> >I've asked this question in serusers and serdevel. Noone answered,
> >so I thought I'd ask it here about openser.
> >I haven't tried openser yet, it's on my todo list.
> >I saw that openser implemented connection pool for mysql backend.
> >What about postgres?
> >
> The maintainer of this module has not implemented the connection pool
> yet. It was no activity for quite some time of postgres module,but now
> seems that many users started using it, so we have put it in the roadmap
> to review. Unfortunately I have no experience with postgres, so the
> priority is quite low in my list.

I see. That's a pity. BTW I can't find it in the roadmap available online.

> > My guess is that every module using databse
> >opens a separate connection and the number of concurrent connections
> >will be the number of such modules multiplied by number of children?
> >Is it true?
> >
> yes.
>
> >If so, are there any plans for connection pool for postgres?
> >

> see above.
>
> >Also it's been noticed and confirmed by Andrei Pelinescu-Onciul that
> >there are problems linking ser to multi-threaded libraries like libpq.
> >Has it been addressed by openser?
> >

> is the same problem as in ser. It is the same module, we just fixed some
> warnings and a few bugs reported by users.

Then I just wanted to let you know that changes suggested by Dmitry Semyonov at
http://mail.iptel.org/pipermail/serdev/2005-July/005148.html worked for me. At
least it helped with "log_stderr=no" problem.

> >Also I'm curious whether number of children in openser is limited to a
> >given startup value or it is able to fork additional children as needed?
> >

> It is limited to startup value, it does not fork additional children if
> needed. The maximum number of children is 32. By default it is 8.

Hm. I definitely remember reading on mailing list suggestions to run  ser with as many
as hundreds children to avoid situation when all workers are busy processing
requests. That's not a valid suggestion? What would happen to messages
when there're no idle children? Will they be dropped?
Please don't get me wrong. I'm not to undervalue your work. I just want to understand
the limitation of the software I'm considering to use.

> Daniel
>
> >Thank you,
> >
> >Michael

See you later,