[Users] RE: [Serusers] openser /ser

Kanakatti M. Subramanya mahesh at aptela.com
Thu Jul 21 16:58:42 CEST 2005

Hmmm
We're running openser in production and its pretty darn stable (now)

Couple of things in no particular order
a) Openser does support mediaproxy, which is not surprising since the
first release is (basically) a repackaging of ser 0.9.3
b) The database structure has changed slightly.  I spent some time
working on a migration script to move stuff.  Basically, you have two
options
    - Leave everything in the existing databases, and just modify the
tables appropriately (location and aliases need a new column.  look at
the faq)
    - set up the new databases using 'openser_mysql.sh', and
dump/restore your ser data into it (use mysqldump, and hand edit the
dump file.  Note that you'll need to modify your ser.cfg to point at the
new stuff)
    - ok, i lied.  there is a third way.  I regenerated all our data
using our provisioning scripts.  it was a good opportunity to
sanitize/clean our data.
c) Openser will be keeping up with some of the more recent developments
- avpops, acc, uac, just to name a few.  If you need these, you really
don't have much of a choice ;-)
d) Stability is an issue (for me, at least).  I'd recommend commenting
out -DF_MALLOC and uncommenting -DDBG_QMALLOC in Makefile.defs.  It
worked like a charm for me

cheers