[SR-Users] kamailio & rtpengine question

Richard Fuchs rfuchs at sipwise.com
Sat Oct 15 13:55:12 CEST 2022

On 14/10/2022 07.22, [EXT] Gerry Kernan wrote:

> Hi Henning
>
> Issue could be that I’m trying to do something that’s not possible .
>
> We have an asterisk server behind kamailio .  kamailio and asterisk
> are on the same subnet 10.3.1.0/24 . kamailo/rtpeengine are configured
> to advertise its WAN IP . would this mess up SIP/RTP from kamailio to
> the asterisk server.

Yes.

To make this work, you either need a WAN/NAT setup that is able to
reflect traffic back into the internal network, or (much better)
configure rtpengine with two network interfaces, one with and one
without the advertised address, and then tell rtpengine as part of the
signalling coming from Kamailio which direction the message is flowing.
Use two `direction=` options in the offer with the respective interface
names, and then SDPs going to Asterisk will have the internal address,
and SDPs going outside will have the WAN address.

Cheers